History

In the 1800's,  Madison, Wisconsin, was becoming a vibrant city and attracted  hard working people to the area. The southeast corner that adjoins Madison became home to an entrepreneur named William McFarland who had visions of a beautiful community supported in part by the ever expanding railroad.

Our village, named after William McFarland, had a strong Lutheran congregation. They built a church and later, in 1900, a parsonage as a home for their first resident pastor. Built at a cost of $2,000, it had gas lighting and two sources of water: well water from a well in the back yard and rainwater from a cistern outside the back door.

Rev. Realf O. Brandt with his wife Mathilde and four children; Olaf, Walther, Emma and Diderikke moved into the parsonage on October 16, 1900. Both daughters were married in the parsonage. The Brandts lived in the parsonage until Pastor Brandts' death in 1927.

The next family to live in the parsonage was Rev. Morris Sorenson, his wife, Bertha, and two children, Ruth and Morris Jr. A third child,  Margaret, was the only child born in the parsonage. Pastor Sorenson served until 1948.

Pastor Gerhard Bergee and his wife Idella came to McFarland in May of 1949 with two small sons, Gerhard and Paul. The Bergees lived in the old parsonage until 1955 when a new, smaller, parsonage was built and the old building was sold.

* * * * * * * * *

A few families then lived in the building, giving them ample room to raise their family in a quiet, little village.

Mrs. Pearson, one of the private owners who lived at the Parsonage, circa 1966.

* * * * * * * * *

 

 

Al Capone and his boys visiting the old parsonage during Prohibition? No, just  the elegance of the Parsonage serving as a backdrop for the Model T club in 2005.

 

 

 

 

Gil and Carolyn (2000)

Gil in his office (2002)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 1997, Pastor Gil Splett and his wife, Carolyn, started the transformation of the old McFarland Lutheran parsonage into the present day Parsonage Bed & Breakfast.  Gil and Carolyn retired their pots and pans in 2003,  giving Craig and Cathy Wrobel a chance to continue their wonderful tradition of hospitality.

Four of the guestrooms are named after the four Lutheran pastors who lived in the parsonage. The fifth guest room, The Mentor Room, is named in honor of those who taught both the Spletts and the Wrobels about genuine hospitality and gracious service to others.

 

Parsonage|  |Hosts|Accommodations
 |
Our Menus/Dietary Requests|  |Particulars|  |Rates
 |
Attractions|  |Directions|  |History|
 |
What Our Guests Say|  |Links| 
 
|Madison|  |McFarland|

Copyright The Parsonage Bed & Breakfast 2014. All rights reserved.
A long time ago, in a village far, far away....